Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the GMAT exam will be applied online as a solution to support you as a candidate to take the test from home, so that you do not attend the test center. Although it is open to all applicants, the GMAT Online exam format is intended to support candidates who are working to meet the next application deadlines promptly, and who due to health issues or government restrictions are unable to attend a test. center. In this blog post we will share the requirements, recommendations and details of this test so that, if you need to comply with this requirement as soon as possible, you will not have setbacks.
The GMAT online exam is available in most locations, with the exception of: Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Slovenia, due to local and regulatory data privacy rules. As you can see, throughout Latin America it can be presented. In addition, it is as flexible as possible in terms of schedule: you can schedule an appointment at any time, on any day of the week until it is no longer applied. The last day to present it is December 31 of this year.
You should be aware that if the test centers in your location are open and you feel safe accessing the facilities of a test center, you can. The centers are closely following local government directives to ensure the health and safety of applicants and test center staff.
The advantage of the online exam is that it can be taken 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and only 2 steps are necessary for your registration:
- Create or log in to your mba.com account, as you normally do.
- Select the Register button for the online GMAT exam option and find the date and time that best suits you. Then finish your registration.
The exam has a cost of $ 200 USD. You can pay your exam with a credit or debit card, you just have to take into account a few points:
- VISA, Mastercard, American Express and JCB accepted
- The charges on your card will appear with the legend “VUE * GRAD MGMT TEST”.
- If for any reason the system rejects the payment with your card, your appointment will be canceled and you will have to reschedule, making the payment with a different card.
- If you make a claim by mistake about the charge to your card, and it is canceled or processed, you will not be able to take exams or have the right to request your scores.
At the time of the test, you must present an original, current and government-issued identification, which must include your name with a recent photograph and this must be the same as the one registered for the exam. These can be such as passport, driver’s license, identity or registration card, some military identification, among others. As long as it has a government seal and official validity, you can present it. Make sure that your registration data MATCHES in its entirety with the identification you will present.
Note: due to the situation generated by the GMAT Online, if your identification is expired, it will be accepted as long as the expiration date is after January 1 of this year.
Structure of the GMAT online exam
Something you should take into account is that the GMAT Online exam contains the same sections and number of questions as the GMAT in test center, with the exception that the AWA section is omitted. Regarding the time and number of questions in each section, this will be the same, as mentioned below:
- 31 Quantitative / 62 minutes
- 36 Verbal / 65 minutes
- 12 IR / 30 minutes
You should keep in mind that the total time of the exam is approximately 3 hours – 2 hours and 45 minutes and an additional 15 minutes to register in the online proctored system. You will be allowed an optional 5 minute break before starting the Integrated Reasoning section.
Pay attention: In this version, the order of the sections is given: Quant, Verbal and IR. You will not be able to modify it as it is normally done.
Technological requirements to take the GMAT Online exam
Keep in mind that currently the supervision support for the online GMAT exam is only offered in English and you can take it both on personal computers and on laptops with Windows and Mac, taking into account certain points so that you do not have any problems on the day of the evaluation. Those admitted are the following:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Mac OS 10.13 and higher (excluding beta versions)
Note: Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 7 are strictly forbidden for exams. Also, all Linux / Unix based operating systems are strictly prohibited.
The hardware that you will use during the exam are a webcam, a microphone, and speakers. The webcam must be of good resolution (in technological terms, 640×480 at 10 FPS, at least) and can be internal or external. As for the microphone, it must necessarily be internal. The speakers can be internal or external.
Before the exam, you must have access to PearsonOnVUE. In this link you can do the necessary system tests so that you do not have setbacks at the time of the exam. Bear in mind that if you use a Mac, you probably need to authorize OnVUE within your system preferences, which can take time if you don’t do the necessary preliminary tests.
Recommendations BEFORE the exam
Before starting your exam.
- You must ensure that you comply with the policies and procedures in order to take the exam.
- Take your time to test the system, so that you do not have any problems on the day of the evaluation.
- During your registration, you will be asked to take photos of your work area, which will be monitored to verify that you comply with the request. Spruce up your workspace.
- Notify your family members or the people who live with you that you take the exam so that you do not have distractions. Any strange movement will cancel the exam application, with no opportunity to reschedule it.
- The day before remember to rest well, relax and eat properly.
- Practice with the online whiteboard, as it will be your only note-taking tool. Make sure to be VERY agile using it, it becomes one more complication. In addition, if you present it after June 11, you can use a physical blackboard of 30 x 43 centimeters maximum. Consider making this purchase before the exam, so you can practice with it and become familiar with erasing and writing times.
Recommendations DURING the exam
- If your workspace does not pass the review, they will not let you continue with the evaluation. Clean it up and get it sorted.
- If in doubt, remember to chat to Proctor or wave your hand in front of the webcam. Try not to make noises or speak, as you can invalidate your exam. Do it only when you have permission from the Proctor and always advise what you will do.
- Relax and work as you normally do to get competitive scores.
- Check your time very well.
Score and evaluation. After the exam
As is normally done, the GMAT Online exam will be assessed on the same scale. However, you will not be able to see the unofficial result at the end, but you will receive it in 7 business days. Remember that these will be valid for 5 years, so you can use them later. However, you will not be able to retake the GMAT Online, so it is impossible to cancel your score. After reviewing them, you will have the opportunity to send it to any number of programs you need.
Rebooking or cancellation
You can reschedule or cancel your exam appointment up to 24 hours before the scheduled time, at no extra cost.
- $ 25 USD – Reschedule
- $ 100 USD – Cancel
If it is in your plans to present the GMAT Online, you already have all the information so that you do not have setbacks and, if you prepared properly, you will obtain the competitive score you aspire to.